05 August 2015

Finally! An update and actual game creation!

After more than a year I finally got to update this blog... anyway, I got a regular tabletop roleplaying gaming group now and I pitched my idea for an Eberron campaign using Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition early this year. Even though some of them love the idea of playing with minis, no one wanted to play the 4th edition! So I pitched in another idea -- playing Eberron with Fate Core rules. I got the "go" vote and voila! For two sessions we toiled with the game and character creation. I know at least two of my players (out of five) have played Spirit of the Century with me before, and yet, we struggled with character creation. Me thinks it is because of the unique way of creating characters with Fate Core. As you probably know, there is no list or tables where you get to pick out items/stats; everything, including powers (Stunts) get to be determined by the players by putting in Aspects. Certainly, at one point, I was tempted to say "Screw this, let's play the 5th edition instead" because everyone was struggling with Aspect creation!

First things first: game creation. Any Eberron campaign would inevitably touch the Last War, so one of the game Aspects I proposed was "Shadows of the Last War". This would be invoked for effect, mainly for the scenery (such as war-torn landscape) and people's reaction (general suspicion, especially of other nationalities). I let my players decide on the second Aspect, and they proposed that the problem they would face initially would be the "Refugee Problem". I agreed, and put in "New Cyre" in Breland as the location of the first scenario, since that is where most of the Cyran refugees during the Last War ended up. As per the Eberron Campaign Guide, the leader of New Cyre is the former ambassador to Breland, Prince Oargev ir'Wynarn. So now I have a location, a supporting NPC, and two issues for my Fate Eberron game! Woohoo!

Next issue, actual character creation!

No comments:

Post a Comment